What does a certified KonMari consultant do?
Some people can learn from a book, others need more hands-on practice. A KonMari consultant is like your personal trainer, cheerleader, accountability partner, who can guide and support you throughout your tidying journey.
What are the benefits o f tidying?
- When everything in your closet looks and feels good on you, getting ready becomes fun and easy.
- No more digging through stacks and piles to find what you need. You will know exactly where to find it.
- Less clutter means less time straightening or cleaning up the house and more time to do what you love.
- Improved accessibility and visibility of your things allows all family members to help maintain neatness and build good habits.
- Learning who you are and how you want to live makes you a more conscious shopper, and avoid unnecessary spending.
- No need to keep buying replacements for misplaced items.
- Quality over quantity. When we take better care of the possessions we love, they also last longer.
- Release your guilt and fear associated with the items you own.
- Recognizing your values and priorities.
- Identify your personal style and passion.
- Making yourself a priority
- Feel satisfied and appreciate what makes you happy.
Starting with a vision of your ideal lifestyle, you sort through your belongings by categories in a specific order. Touch each item and feel if it sparks joy. If it does, you will feel lighter, more at ease. If not, it will weigh you down and cause stress and confusion. Letting go with gratitude is also part of the process after understanding how the item no longer serves a purpose, nor does it fit into your ideal lifestyle.
The method places great importance on being mindful. It hones your skills to let go of past attachments and fear of the future. It’s an exercise in being present and confronting yourself, with the result of a joyful home that reflects the life you envisioned and deserve.
What do you mean by tidying by category?
Traditionally we are used to the idea of tidying by location. When we do that, we can’t see the whole picture since we often have items from the same category stored in different locations throughout the house. We don’t realize the number of duplicates we own and end up buying more because we can’t keep track of them. Organizing by category means taking an inventory of what you have, and it’s much easier to compare and decide which item you want to keep and which to discard.
The 5 categories in order are:
- Komono (Miscellaneous)
- Sentimental Items
I know I have to deal with the clutter, but I’m not sure I’m ready.
The decision to take the time out to organize your space means you are taking a step to take care of yourself. You deserve to have a joyful space to relax and recharge instead of dreading and living with the clutter. The shock of seeing what can change in a few hours will begin to affect your perspective and behavior. Your time commitment to the session is to put yourself as the priority, to simplify your life and infuse more joy in your daily life. Let your surroundings speak to your heart. You will know when you are ready.
Do I need to read the book before starting the process?
It is not required that you read the books prior to your tidying sessions. My job is to teach you the skills you’ll need to maintain the work we do together. If after we start you decide to read the book, it will only add to your tidying experience.
How long does it take to tidy my entire home?
This can vary based on the size of your home, your availability and stamina to complete your tidying.
I have a lot of stuff. Is this a minimalist approach?
The KonMari Method™ focuses on keeping what sparks joy and reflects the ideal vision you have for your present and future. It does not matter the number of items you keep as long as they truly add to a positive joyful life. The number of items you keep should fit comfortably in the space available so you can easily see and access them.