What is the KonMari Method?
The KonMari Method is based on the teachings from the books The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Spark Joy written by Marie Kondo. Kondo is a Japanese organizing guru and #1 New York Times best selling author, whose books have sold over 8 million copies in over 40 countries, and made tidying a worldwide phenomenon.
The method used to achieve a dramatic tidy-makeover is based on one simple criterion: Does this item spark joy? By thoroughly making a decision for each item, by categories in a specific order, the clients hone their joy-checking skills. The result is a joyful home that reflects the client’s vision of an ideal happy lifestyle and what they value the most.
What do you mean by tidying by category?
Traditionally we are used to the idea of tidying by location. When we do that, we don’t really see the whole picture since we often have items from the same category stored in different locations through out the house. We often don’t realize the number of duplicates we own, and end up buying more because we can’t find it. Organizing by category means taking an inventory of what you have, and it’s much easier to compare and decide which item you want to keep and which to discard.
What are the benefits of tidying?
- When everything in your closet looks and feels good on you, getting ready becomes fun and easy.
- No more digging through stacks and piles to find what you need. You will know exactly where to find it.
- Less clutter means less time straightening or cleaning up the house and more time to do what you love.
- Improved accessibility and visibility of your things allows all family members help maintain neatness and build good habits.
- No need to keep buying replacements for misplaced items.
- Learning what sparks joy for you makes you a more conscious shopper.
- We take better care of the possessions we love, so they last longer.
- Release your guilt and fear associated with the items you own.
- Recognizing your values and priorities.
- Identify your personal style and passion.
- Making yourself a priority
- Feel satisfied and appreciate what makes you happy.
Do I need to read the book before starting the process?
It is not required that you read the books prior to your tidying sessions. My job is to teach you the skills you’ll need to maintain the work we do together. If after we start you decide to read the book, it will only add to your tidying experience and education.
Is 5-hour tidying sessions realistic schedule?
The question is, how many hours have you lived with the clutter? And would you want to see a dramatic transformation in 5 hours? During those tidying sessions, you’ll be honing your decision making skills and learn what items truly sparks joy for you. By the end of the session you’ll be able to see not only the change in your physical space, but also gain understanding of why you lived with the clutter in the first place. We do live very busy lives, but the decision to take the time out to organize your space means you are taking a step to take care of yourself. The shock of seeing what can change in 5 hours will begin to affect your perspective and behavior. Your time commitment to the session is to put yourself as priority, to simplify your life and infuse more joy to your daily life.
How long does it take to tidy my entire home?
3 to 6 months is the average. However, this can vary based on the size of your home, your availability and desire to complete your tidying.
Marie Kondo calls this a “once in a life time” tidying marathon because the shocking transformation and your new life skill to tidy will motivate you to not go back to a cluttered home again.
I have a lot of stuff. Is this a minimalist approach?
The KonMari Method focuses on keeping what sparks joy, and reflects the ideal vision you have for your present or future self. The result may end up looking minimal, however it does not matter the number of items you keep in the end as long as they truly add to a positive joyful life. The amount of items you keep should fit comfortably in the space you have so you can easily see and access them.